I think you should ...

Upload a complete small game that we can explore how to put everything we learn together into a complete game.

I think I understand all of the little pieces, but I'm unsure of how to go about putting everything together. Having a simple game (like the Asteroids game that is featured in the particle effects tutorial) to look at would help me a lot.

116 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminRB Whitaker (Supreme Allied Commander, RB Whitaker's Wiki) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Like Gillard Robert I recommend to use this book:
        Learning C# by programming games (Arjan Egges).

The book is actually written for the XNA framework but everything can made with the monogame framework too. I use Monogame framework and Visual Studio 2015 and it works fine. The XNA tutorials from this website work great with Monogame.

In the book I mentioned above you will be taught how to develop four different small and simple games step by step. It is very good for beginners. The complete games can be downloaded at the authors website! So you can explore a finished game. Also there are many projects in wich the game is not yet finished but in a certain state of development.
        The tutorials from this website are very good to extend and intensify the topics of the book. Also you learn to program with c#. But for poeple who didnt program any time I think an additional book wich is only about learning programming in c# would be very helpful.

• FreeMan commented  · 

That is the good idea, learn from game is simple and easy way to understand. :D

• Gillard Robert commented  · 

There are two excellent books I have bought on Amazon explaining some complete games

- Learning C# by programming games (Arjan Egges)
        - XNA 4.0 Game development by example (Kurt Jaegers)

I think i'ts a must for who wants learn beginner's and more enhanced games.

• Chris commented  · 

This is one of the reasons I like Riemer's tutorials so much. He taught you a little bit more each lesson....and this expanded on the little game you were building.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Greetings all! Good to see continuing activity here!

I was thinking perhaps we should try to tackle this game project as a community. We could use similar base code, which we post to the forums, and then ask questions if we run into problems. It would give us a chance to learn from working and have the added benefit of creating a number of variations on a theme, provided we use different textures, and different behaviors (to a degree). I'm at a point where this would actually be pretty helpful for my development as well.

So what I suggest, keeping it simple, is a 'Breakout' type clone. My former room mate, and a good friend wrote something very similar for one of his various programming classes, and it can make for a fun 'little' game.

I'm going over to RB's site to start a forum thread under "Forum->Other->Community Projects and encourage everyone to drop by and check in there if you're interested. I'll also post some basic game guidelines, the beginning game code, and open the discussion to suggestions. See you there!

• Filip commented  · 

Come on RB! I need your tutorials! I need the RB fix. <3

• Kenneth commented  · 

Keep the game very simple! One this will minimize the work you have to do. Two it would enable even very beginners to follow along. I would say make it a "complete" game in the sense of having a menu, gameplay, post gameplay screen -> back to menu.

• Ahmet Mete ÇOM commented  · 

This is a must. It also includes many other requests on the voice list as a whole, and also would be a base for future referances. You can say things like, "remember how we made a small GUI system for our game? In this tutorial, we are going to expand it!"

• Pupopolis commented  · 

As long as it's not too much work, this would be pretty nice to have. :D

Feedback and Knowledge Base